|Back to Articles List|
Guidance Support: Finding the Help You Need
Preparing for college can be overwhelming at times and can leave you with question overload. Who better to help with scheduling, course selection, college preparation and meeting deadlines than your guidance counselor. Yes, this Obi-Wan Kenobi of college preparation knows what you'll need for college applications, what courses you should be taking and which schools are your best bet. If you've never met your counselor or are not on a first name basis, here are some ice-breaker questions to get the conversation flowing.
1. What courses do I need to take to graduate and what do I need for college preparation?
2. What elective courses do colleges look for?
3. How do I set up my schedule to accommodate the required and recommended college courses?
4. What can I do over the summer to prepare for college?
5. Do you have any guides or college handbooks that I can borrow in addition to using the SchoolsInTheUSA.com web site?
6. Are there any evening or after school college prep courses available?
7. What about college fairs?
8. Are other students going out-of-state or staying here? Do you have information about out-of-state schools?
9. Do you know any grads that I can talk to who are going to the same colleges that I want to go to?
10. When is the PSAT/NMSQT scheduled for?
11. Do you have any practice tests for the SAT?
12. What AP courses are available?
13. What is required for honor society?
14. What types of scholarships are available and what are the requirements?
15. Can I see my transcripts now?
16. How do I apply for financial aid and when?
Taking advantage of all the resources your guidance counselor has to offer. The available resources they can provide you with can make the transition from high school to college a lot easier. As with any new experience, planning and preparation are the keys to success. Know the deadlines, requirements and opportunities that are available and make the most of them.
May your guidance counselor be with you.
|Back to Articles List|
| Universities and Colleges
Agriculture and Bio-resources | Allied Health and Health Sciences | Applied Business Technology | Architecture
Business Administration | Computer Science | Cosmetology and Esthetics | Culinary, Travel &Hospitality | Dance
Engineering Technology & Applied Technology |Engineering | Film | Fine Arts and Design | Humanities and Liberal ArtsJustice and Security
Music | Natural and Applied Sciences | Naturopathic and Holistic MedicineNursingPublic Administration & PolicyReligious and Theological Studies
Sport Sciences and Physical Education | Teacher Education | Theatre
College News |
Copyright 2003- 2018 QuinStreet, Inc. All Rights Reserved.