Architecture Programs In America

Schools in the USA

Architecture Programs In America

  • Bachelor of Architecture (BArch)

  • Bachelor of Landscape Architecture (BLA)

  • Bachelor of Arts (BA)

  • Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA)

  • Bachelor of Science (BS)

  • Bachelor of Science in Art and Design (BSAD)

  • Associate in Applied Science (AAS)

  • Associate in Science (AS)

  • Technical certificates

  • Program Length
  • 5-7 years for professional bachelor's degree

  • 4 years for non-professional bachelor's degree

  • 2 years for associate's degree

  • 12-52 weeks for technical certificate

  • Entry
  • Bachelor's degree - direct entry; entry after 1 or 2 years of college-level study

  • Associate's degree - direct entry

  • Technical certificate - direct entry

  • Areas of Study
  • General architecture

  • Specialization areas include urban studies and design, community planning, architectural history, architectural theory, sustainable design, landscape architecture, environmental planning, drafting, computer aided drafting (CAD), building technology, building conservation, architectural technology.

  • Special features
  • Study abroad

  • Practicum/ internship opportunities

  • Development of individual projects and portfolio

  • There are two types of degrees in architecture: professional and non-professional. The Bachelor of Architecture (BArch) nd Bachelor of Landscape Architecture (BLA) are professional degrees that lead to licensure and often to graduate study. Non-professional degrees include the Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Architecture, Architectural Studies, or Landscape Architecture; Bachelor of Science (BS) in Architecture or History of Architecture; and Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) in Architecture. These non-professional degrees typically take four years to complete, compared to the five-year BArch. However, the non-professional degrees may be used towards the later completion of a professional degree (a "4+2" plan might include a 4-year BA and a 2-year Master of Architecture). Several schools offer accelerated or concurrent programs that combine classroom study and practical work during the term so that graduating students can immediately test for licensure (as opposed to having to put in several years of work after graduation before getting licensed).

    The professional degrees in architecture may be divided into foundation studies and more specialized professional study. Foundation studies generally include interdisciplinary sources such as art, history, science, and philosophy in order to teach students the way architecture shares ideas and concerns with other disciplines. Studying architecture doesn't just mean making plans and drawing on the computer: you will get a solid grounding in a variety of forms of knowledge so that you understand the role of architecture in human society. To this end, study abroad is often part of the curriculum. As well, students must learn to integrate their knowledge, so studio courses, practicum or internship and independent study are also part of most architecture programs. Minors are often possible in architecture and landscape architecture as well.

    When looking for a professional or non-professional bachelor's degree program, remember that at some universities and colleges architecture may have its own College, School or Department. Alternately, architecture programs may be part of another department, such as Arts or Environmental Design, or part of a combined department such as Architecture and Design. There is, in fact, quite a bit of overlap between architecture and programs in industrial and interior design.

    If you're interested in architecture but don't want to commit 4 to 5 years to a bachelor's degree, community colleges and technical institutes offer 2-year associate's degrees in architectural design or architectural and building technology. Leading to the Associate of Science (AS) or Associate of Applied Science (AAS) degree, these programs train you in a variety of aspects of the architectural profession--such a s graphics, building materials, building systems, and visual communication-with the goal of getting you ready for entry-level employment in architecture or CAD professions. In fact you can take an associate's degree specializing in CAD. Technical certificates taking less than two years may also be available, and these can be used toward an associate's degree, while associate's degrees may be eligible for university transfer.
    Agriculture and Bio-resources | Allied Health and Health Sciences | Applied Business Technology | Architecture
    Business Administration | Computer Science | Cosmetology and Esthetics | Culinary, Travel &Hospitality | Dance 
    Engineering Technology & Applied Technology |Engineering | Film | Fine Arts and Design | Humanities and Liberal ArtsJustice and Security
    | Natural and Applied Sciences | Naturopathic and Holistic MedicineNursingPublic Administration & PolicyReligious and Theological Studies
    Sport Sciences and Physical Education | Teacher Education | Theatre
    Articles | College News | Videos | Feedback | Career Search
    Home | About Us | Contact Us | Faq | Terms of Use | Privacy Notice | Site Map | Cities Site Map | California - Do Not Sell My Info

    Copyright © 2020 All Rights Reserved.